2. Keeping pace with scientific and technical developments in the fields of standards, metrology, conformity assessment and laboratory accreditation.
3. Ensuring the health and safety of the Kingdom's citizenry and protection of the environment by making sure that goods, products and services are in compliance with the technical regulations adopted by the Organization for the purpose.
4 Ensuring the quality of local goods, products and services through the adoption of appropriate Jordanian Standards in order to enhance their competitiveness in the local and international markets and thus support the national economy.
By law, JSMO is responsible for the following:
1. Issuing, approval, reviewing, amendment and monitoring the implementation of standards and technical regulations with regard to all goods, products and services (with the exception of pharmaceutical products, medicines, veterinary medicines, serums & vaccines).
2. Establishment of a national system of measurement and supervising its implementation.
3. Adopting technical regulations, standards and standardization documents issued by other countries and national, regional and international organizations, provided in Arabic or English languages.
4 Calibration, control and supervision of measuring instruments and practices.
5. Accrediting national and reference standards to calibrate measurement instruments.
6. Control of the quality of precious metals and jewelry. (Testing and stamping them).
7. Granting of conformity certificates, including the Quality Mark.
8. Accreditation of testing and calibration laboratories and certification and inspection bodies according to international practices.
9. Implementation of market surveys to assure product's conformity to technical regulations and safety of use.
10. Benefitting from local abilities of the governmental stakeholders and scientific institutions to empower our institution to achieve its intended goals and missions.
11. Providing proper support to studies and researches with respect to standards, metrology and quality management while holding training workshops in our field of specialization.
12. Agreement with national, regional and international organizations and authorities on mutual recognition of conformity certifications (Quality badges, laboratory accreditation certificates and efficiency of its granting bodies).
13. Cooperation and coordination with national, regional and international organizations and authorities related to fields of standards and metrology, quality, conformity and accreditation evaluation. And affiliating to those organizations and authorities if deemed adequate.
14. Approval and accreditation of standards, technical regulations, recommendations and others which are issued by other countries, (national, regional and international) authorities if deemed adequate, provided in Arabic or English languages.
15. Publication, distribution and selling of accredited standards and technical regulations publications issued by our institution or national, regional and international authorities or other countries.